2022 – 2023
As a school we are now following the Kapow curriculum for Art and Design, French and Design and Technology
Relationships and Sex Education
We follow the Jigsaw scheme of work as a basis for our PSHE lessons. This includes in it, many aspects of relationships and sex education. The ‘Relationships’ and ‘Changing Me’ areas of study can be supplied on request. The Relationship and Sex Education policy can be found in the policy section.
At Arnett Hills we believe the aims of relationships and sex education (RSE) at our school are to:
- Provide a framework in which sensitive discussions can take place
- Prepare pupils for puberty, and give them an understanding of sexual development and the importance of health and hygiene
- Help pupils develop feelings of self-respect, confidence and empathy
- Create a positive culture around issues of sexuality and relationships
- Teach pupils the correct vocabulary to describe themselves and their bodies
- Teach in an open and honest way
At Arnett Hills our aim is:
- To establish consistent teaching, progression and continuity in the teaching and learning of phonics throughout the school.
- To ensure that systematic synthetic phonics, following the Letters and Sounds programme, is taught to children to enable pupils to:
-Tune into sounds, listen and remember sounds and talk about sounds
– Identify, say and write all phonemes within each phase (2-5)
– Use their phonic knowledge to blend and segment phonetically decodable words
– Use their phonic knowledge to read complex words and to recognise from sight ‘Tricky Words’ (Common exception words)
– Write clearly, accurately and coherently using phonic knowledge
– Apply and understand spelling patterns, e.g suffixes, prefixes
At Arnett Hills phonics is taught daily in explicit sessions from Reception to Year 2 and beyond into KS2 where applicable.
It is vital that the correct pronunciation is used for each phoneme. This YouTube video below will help you in supporting your child’s correct pronunciation of each sound.
BEING UPDATED SPRING / SUMMER 2023
English long term plans
Maths programmes of study from the National Curriculum
Yearly class plan
Below you can find overviews of topics completed during the reception year. These are subject to change depending on the interests and needs of the children.